Competitive travel grants are available to assist current and former Life-Health Sciences Internship Program students with travel expenses to a conference or meeting. A maximum of $1500 will be available for each grant; the amount of the award is based on actual expenses. Note the following:
1. An intern is only eligible to receive the grant once (for one trip), and we are unable to fund international travel at this time.
2. Preference is given to interns presenting their work and those attending events with a career development component. Seek opportunities to attend conferences or meetings related to your internship, career, or academic goals.
3. Be sure you have filled out the application in its entirety and submitted estimated expenses. Application deadlines for the 2017-2018 academic year are September 8, January 26, and May 18. Applicants should plan to apply well in advance of the travel dates, as decisions are made only on the deadline dates. Decisions are sent to applicants within 1 to 2 business days after the deadline.
TO BE ELIGIBLE, A STUDENT MUST:
• Be a current LHSI intern –or- Be a former LHSI intern from the previous academic year.
• Be enrolled as an IUPUI undergraduate student during the time of travel.
• Submit the travel grant application and receive approval from LHSI.
Funding will only be given for one event per intern.
Notes for grant recipients:
Some expenses can be pre-paid through the LHSI office including registration, airfare, and sometimes the hotel reservation. Contact the director with any pre-payment needs as soon as possible, as prices can increase closer to the actual date of travel. Pre-payment is highly recommended. Keep in mind that registration rates usually go up as the conference approaches, so booking early is important.
You will be set up in the Travel@IU system within One.IU soon after your grant approval. Upon return, all receipts need to be submitted (including anything that was pre-paid). Save everything!
Indiana University Travel Policy: Travelers (employee and non-employee) will have 60 days from the return date of their trip in which to submit travel reimbursement claims. Reimbursements submitted after this 60 day period will be considered taxable income. After 120 days from the return date of the trip, there will be no reimbursement. Indiana University Foundation Funds may not be used for the reimbursement after this time period. (From: http://policies.iu.edu/policies/categories/financial/travel/FIN-TRV-3.0-travel-reimbursement-deadline-policy.shtml)
See additional travel reimbursement policies at http://policies.iu.edu/policies/categories/financial/travel/FIN-TRV-2.0-reimbursement-of-travel-expenditures.shtml.